Former President Trump’s attempts to shield his White House visitor logs from the select committee investigating the Capitol Building riot have failed.
At least for the time being.
On Wednesday morning, President Biden rejected his predecessor’s request to withhold information from the Jan. 6 committee.
White House counsel Dana Remus informed the National Archives it has 15 days to turn over the logs requested by the committee.
Donald Trump previously claimed he could invoke executive privilege to block the visitor logs’ release.
As The New York Times reports:
Mr. Biden had similarly decided last year not to support Mr. Trump’s claim of executive privilege over other batches of White House documents and records sought by the committee. Mr. Trump went to federal court to block the release of those earlier batches but lost.
Citing in part the same reasoning as in the earlier case, Ms. Remus told the National Archives that the documents needed to be disclosed in a timely fashion because “Congress has a compelling need.” She said that “constitutional protections of executive privilege should not be used to shield, from Congress or the public, information that reflects a clear and apparent effort to subvert the Constitution itself.”
What Happens Next?
It’s unclear if Trump will go to court again to block the documents’ release or at least slow them down.
NBC News continues:
Ferriero informed Trump in a letter Wednesday that he would deliver the records to the committee on March 3. He added that the panel had agreed to keep sensitive appointments confidential and to accept the documents with Social Security numbers and birth dates removed to ensure that the private personal information of visitors is not inadvertently disclosed.
In 2017, Trump White House officials said it would be keeping most of its visitor logs secret, citing “the grave national security risks and privacy concerns of the hundreds of thousands of visitors annually” as the reason.
Earlier this week, the Jan. 6 committee subpoenaed six people allegedly involved in a plot to put forward illegitimate electors.
Among those subpoenaed were Arizona Republican Party Chair Kelli Ward and Pennsylvania State Sen. Doug Mastriano.